Recognizing the importance, as well as the necessity, to provide the framework for the institutional capacity-building in Mathematical and Theoretical Physics covering the different educational levels in science education and bridging the gap between Southeastern and Western European scientific community, the participants of the UNESCO-ROSTE-sponsored BALKAN WORKSHOP BW2003 “Mathematical, Theoretical and Phenomenological Challenges Beyond the Standard Model: Perspectives of Balkans Collaboration” (Vrnjacka Banja, Serbia, August 29 – September 3, 2003) came to a common agreement on the Initiative for the SEENET-MTP NETWORK. Within the years 2004-2007, 14 institutions from 6 countries in the region joined the Network partner institutions all over the world as well as about 140 individual members. This Network has been a natural continuation of Prof. Julius Wess` initiative: Scientists in Global Responsibility (Wissenschaftler in Global Verantwortung – WIGV in German), started in 1999.
- Provide the framework for the institutional capacity-building in Mathematical and Theoretical Physics covering the different educational levels in science education;
- Strengthening of close relations and co-operation among faculties of science, research institutions and individual scientists across the region of Southeastern Europe (SEE). Organization of joint scientific events and mobility program;
- Support capacity building in science and technology for development by initiating intensive, new approaches to teaching physics and sciences;
- Promote exchange of students and encourage communication between gifted pupils motivated for natural sciences at regional and interregional level;
- Support establishment of local and regional centers of excellence in physics and mathematics.
- Exchange of scientists – short term visit
- Exchange of students (preferably PhD students, or for preparation of a diploma work/thesis, or Master degree) –short term visit
- Joint organization of various meetings: BW2003, BW2005, QM2005, QFTHS2006, STMP2006, MMP2006, SQ2007, SQIQC07, BW2007, MMP2008, NTST08, SSSCP2009;
- Joint scientific publications: papers, proceedings, books and other issues and other issues
- SEENET-MTP web portal
- Promotion and popularization of science, work with gifted high-school pupils