City of Niš is situated in the Nišava valley where it joins the Južna Morava River. City of Niš is the crossroads of the most important Balkan and European traffic routes. The territory of the City is intersected by three important directions of international road and railway traffic – several roads that connect the Balkans with Central and Western Europe, including Corridor X, and the axis which connects the Adriatic, Aegean and Black Sea intersect the territory of City of Niš.
These roads have been widely known from the ancient times, because they represented the beaten tracks along which peoples, goods and armies moved. Known as Via Militaris in Roman and Byzantine periods, or Constantinople road in the Middle Ages and the period of the Turkish rule, these roads still represent major European traffic arteries. Thus, the City stands at the point of intersection of the roads connecting Asia Minor and Europe, the Black Sea and the Mediterranean, for its location is a favorable one.
Niš can be reached:
- by plane
- Niš Constantine the Great Airport is the second airport by size in Serbia (after Belgrade’s Nikola Tesla airport). It was renovated in 2003.
- Seasonal timetable – Summer 2018.
- Airlines: Wizz Air, Ryanair, Swiss, Germania.
- More information about to/from Belgrade are available at Airport “Nikola Tesla”, Belgrade
- by bus
- From Belgrade to Niš: 07:05, 07:40, 10:15, 11:50, 14:20, 16:15, 17:10, 20:00, 22:00, 23:15 (The bus ride usually takes 3 hours, costs about 10 Euro-one way ticket and about 17 Euro-return ticket)
- From Niš to Belgrade: 00:40, 02:30, 05:50, 07:00, 09:00, 11:50, 13:20, 15:00, 17:00, 17:20, 19:00, 21:30
- by car
- From Belgrade – directions are available at Google Maps.
- From Sofia – directions are available at Google Maps.
- From Thessaloniki – directions are available at Google Maps.
The monetary unit is Serbian dinar.
- bills: 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 1000, 5000 dinars
- coins: 1 dinar, 2 dinars, 5 dinars
- exchange rate: 1 EUR approx. 120 dinars (changes daily)
- Visit Niš (Tourism organisation of Niš)
- Niš Travel (Lonely Planet)
- Niš (Tripadvisor)
- Niš-Eskpres (bus sation i Niš)
- Airport “Konstantin Veliki”, Niš
- BAS – Belgrade Bus Station (timetable)
- Airport “Nikola Tesla”, Belgrade
- Serbian Railways
- Weather forecast – Niš
More details will be given later.
Please, click on markers for more information about highlighted locations.